Unoccupied Insurance FAQ

Unoccupied Insurance is designed for the owners of properties that are likely to be vacant on a long term basis. It will cover the property and yourself in the event of certain financial losses

Standard Home Insurance or Landlords Insurance Policies will usually only allow a property to be unoccupied for a limited amount of time. Usually between 30 and 90 days, and the cover offered may be restricted or reduced. Therefore, if your property is likely to be unoccupied long term you will require an Unoccupied Policy. 

Your home insurance policy will typically not cover your property if it's been empty for more than 30 days. Unoccupied or temporary property insurance can provide protection in case of theft, fire, floods or damage whilst you’re away. It's worth remembering that - similar to home insurance - unoccupied property cover is split into buildings and contents insurance.

All of our insurers offer 12 month policies. However if your circumstances change mid-term and the property becomes occupied or is sold, call us and we can adjust or cancel the cover accordingly. Alternatively, we may be able to offer a policy with the premium payable monthly by interest-free bank direct debit.  You only pay for the number of days insurance that you use with this insurance policy.

Many providers will not insure properties which are left unoccupied for more than 30 or 60 days at a time, which is why you need to come to a specialist provider.

The cover will vary depending on the length and nature of the unoccupancy.  For example, if the property is undergoing major works we may only be able to offer insurance cover against Fire, Lightning, Explosion and Aircraft.  If the property is unoccupied for other reasons, such as the owner being in care, the property being on the market to sell, or the property is undergoing minor works, we will usually be able to offer a choice of basic or comprehensive cover.

Common terms applied include:

A higher excess will be charged, usually a minimum of £250

The exclusion of theft cover (unless it is by forcible and violent entry)

The exclusion of Personal Possessions cover.

A requirement that either the water system within the property will need to be drained-down or the heating left on at a minimum level

A requirement that the property will need to be 'inspected' on a weekly basis

A requirement that all security must be in full & effective operation


The full detail of what cover is available for your individual circumstance is made clear as you go through the online quote process.

Always check the terms and conditions of your policy, but some examples are:

  • Loss or damage as a result of unforced entry ie leaving windows or doors open or unlocked
  • Damage caused by major works eg extensions, structural repairs
  • Damage caused by contractors (contractors should have their own insurance)

That's fine - we can cover you but you must ensure that you are happy with any terms, restrictions or requirements we may apply.

Yes you can. You will need to provide us with full details of the renovations and you should let us know when the renovation is complete so that we can adjust your cover accordingly.

In the event of probate, we can arrange insurance cover for unoccupied properties being dealt with by executors, solicitors and administrators of estates.

Most policies automatically provide property owners liability cover of up to £2 million. Check your policy wording for more information. 

Give us a call or apply online and explain/detail the circumstances in which they have declined to cover you and we will do our best to arrange cover for you. Please be completely honest in your application as any misleading information or inaccurate information may invalidate a claim. 

This request is not unusual, normally we are able to arrange insurance depending on the sum insured and other underwriting criteria. Please contact us to discuss further. 

Yes, we will consider all types of property undergoing renovation and conversion including properties having structural work completed.

Yes, several of our policies are designed for both residential and commercial including properties where there is mixed use, for example shops or offices with flats above.

Can't Find Your Answer?

If you still can't find your answer then please check our other FAQs or Get in Touch - we're always happy to help.