These days we can’t escape from the concept of going green. We all want to save the planet and money, but it can be difficult to get into the swing of things. How much electricity is generated from those solar panels on the roof? How much will I actually save? What other costs do I need to consider? There are so many questions to be answered, that none of us want to take the first step. Well, there are some definite ways to save you money that we want to let you in on.
- Switching off lights when you leave a room. We all know to do it, we can forget, but it will save you money!
- Energy saving bulbs. Okay, so they can take a bit longer to brighten, but the difference they make on your bills is worth it.
- Insulation. We’ve said it before, but insulation stops 50% of the heat from your home escaping!
- Insulate your water heater too.
- Invest in double glazing.
- Set your thermostat! Don’t just blaze the heating all day, setting a thermostat will turn of your radiators when your home has reached your desired temperature. Otherwise just turn it down a degree or two, it makes a difference.
- Can you take public transport?
- Keep your tyre pressure correct.
- Try cutting down the miles by walking to the shops.
- If you drive slower and try not to accelerate as often, you will save fuel and money.
- Turn off those stand-by lights.
- Try and only put your washing machine on for a full load.
- Turn down the temperature on your washing machine. (Bio)
- Take a shower instead of having a bath.
- Do you need the television and laptop on at the same time?
- Pop the lamp on instead of the main light.
- Take a look at Energy Star appliances which save energy.
- Re-use those plastic bottles.
- Get a Green Box and pop your tins in.
- Take out a washable mug.
By trying to follow a few of these tips, you could save hundreds of pounds a year. Next time you think about Going Green, don’t expect to have to erect a Wind farm in your back garden. There are plenty of ways for us to save money and the environment without being nominated for Green Leader Award.
If you found this article interesting, you may also like this Quick Guide to Energy Performance Certificates
Don’t forget to follow UKinsuranceNET on Facebook and Twitter to keep up to date with our useful hints and tips on insurance and more articles like ‘How Going Green Can Save You Money.'