Home Insurance FAQ's

When thinking about home insurance you have to consider both buildings cover and contents cover. 

Contents cover is usually an optional extra of buildings cover however you can get a standard contents cover policy if for example your landlord cover the building insurance. 

Buildings cover protects the buildings and its fixtures and fittings, while content cover protect your personal belongings. 

it isn't necessary to get your own buildings cover if you are renting, as this is the responsibility of the landlord. 

A lot of the time, mortgage lenders will encourage you to get your own cover to protect their investment. Is it up to you whether or not you protect your personal belongings with contents insurance. 

Adding a joint policyholder allows the other person to make a claim, so it’s not only you who can deal with communications with your insurer.

Under some circumstances it can also lower your premium.

Your need depends on your circumstances – many accidental damage claims come from people with young children.

It’s also important to know what’s covered under your standard policy. Checking the small print is the best way to make sure you’ve got adequate cover.

You should cover anything which you would like to protect. Imagine if you moved house, what would you take? You should protect the things that would cost you am lot to replace or are of sentimental value to yourself. 

Don't forget things like carpets and curtains. These would need to be covered in the event of a flood and can cost a lot to replace. Try not to underestimate how much your contents is worth, if you hasn't got the right cover, all of your contents won't be protected by the insurance. 

Personal Possessions cover an extension of contents cover. You can protect specific items such as expensive jewelry or electronics.

Most insurers we use will cover clerical business use of the home, this would be computer use or paperwork and should not include visits by business contacts. For full business use including visitors to the home, please contact us for a quote. 

Although we understand that everybody wants to save, you want to be able to afford the excess if the worst should happen. 

Make sure that it is a price that you can afford. otherwise you would have been paying your insurance for no benefit to yourself.

If you’ve told your buildings insurer that your roof is in good repair, they will base your premium on the known risk of storm damage happening to the average roof. But if, in fact, your guttering is already falling off, or your tiles are coming loose, then there’s a greater than average risk of damage happening during a storm – something your insurer hasn't covered against on your original premium.

This could invalidate your policy because you were not paying the correct premiums to suit your circumstances. 

In these circumstances you will need to let your insurance provider know so that they can make changes to your policy. 

If a property is unoccupied due to renovation or you are building an extension there are a lot of new risks which apply, such as structural damage and liability. If you do not inform your insurer of these changes then you will not be covered for these accidents. 

You cannot reply solely on your home insurance policy for these circumstances. 

You an get an unoccupied property from UKinsuranceNET. We offer specialsed property quotes for these circumstances and can cover you for a number of risks. 

Can't Find Your Answer?

If you still can't find your answer then please check our other FAQs or Get in Touch - we're always happy to help.