Canopius is a brand name for Canopius Managing Agents Limited who are one of the top ten managing agents at Lloyd’s writing premiums in excess of £1 billion. Canopius is the global specialty insurance and reinsurance platform for Sompo Japan Nipponkoa Holdings, Inc., an A+ rated company with c. $85bn total assets and one of the top three Japanese insurers.
The company underwrites a diversified portfolio of specialty lines business from its operations at Lloyd’s and around the world. It has offices in the UK, Ireland, Netherlands, Switzerland, Bermuda, US and Singapore.
Landlord insurance is a specialist - or niche - form of cover. It is similar to standard home insurance to the extent that buildings and (landlord's) contents are covered, but it also extends to such areas as compensation for the loss of rental income in the event of an insured loss, and to indemnity in the principal areas of public liability and employer's liability.
Landlord insurance, therefore, may be seen as a particular form of business property insurance.
Canopius landlord insurance
The company's insurance for landlords goes by the name of Resilet. Notable features of Resilet policies are:
- cover for all types of tenant, but with a different excess depending on the category of tenant to whom the premises are let; for example
- private tenants - excess £100;
- students - excess £125;
- benefits claimants - excess £150; and
- asylum seekers - excess £250;
- it may be worth noting that subsidence is a peril specifically included in Resilet's building insurance;
- the premises are deemed to be unoccupied after 30 consecutive days of their having been vacated;
- compensation for loss of rental income - up to a maximum of 20% of the total sum insured for the building; and
- property owner's liability - up to a maximum of £2 million for any one claim.
Separate insurance is required if you need employer's liability indemnity.